15 November 2007

Where have all the boys gone?

in response to Betsy's amazing first post (undoubtedly better than mine), i started thinking about dating and what standards i and my friends often have, and are we setting the bar too high?
I don't like to think about this overmuch since i live at home and don't get out often (and even when i do i never meet anyone). where do we meet people now? how do people find mates these days? online? at bars? church? seriously, where is everyone??

okay, i need to not let my somewhat frustration get in the way. but really, where are you all? i never want to meet a future relationship in a bar, but is that standard too high?

a friend of mine asked me what i was looking for in a boy recently, and i realized there are a lot of things i won't settle on: has to be into my music but not obnoxiously snobby about it, has to have ambition/passion, college education is pretty high up there but only because i value mine so much (and the experiences i had there) but a person can still be awesome without it,
must be intelligent and funny, since i am (no modesty here-- this is serious business). i like cute/pretty ones, taller than i am, somewhat fashionable, and absolutely must be fun and cool with my friends. and then there's the question of sexual attraction, of course.

does this person exist? if so, will they love me? are my standards too high? will i love them?

it's kind of easy to see why i'm choosing a life of cats and my parent's house right now. it's easier to hide and avoid it all, but i know it's not better. i feel like awesome relationships come when you least expect them and when you're not looking, so i'm not looking. and i'm very happy as a single person, by the way. i have one horrific relationship and subsequent craziness behind me and i know i've learned a lot about what a good relationship is because of that bad one. and i know that no matter what, i won't settle.

what about you?

No comments: